January 24, 2009

Pilgrimage to Kearny



On the eve of Robert Burns' 250th birthday, the trek to Kearny, NJ where scores of Scots get their food fixes. I remember my Dad, my Aunt Annie, my Uncle Jimmy (all gone and greatly missed) would pull up the driveway and we'd know we could find the white cartons tied with string...black pudding, meat pies, bridies, currant cakes...great treats. So off we went today and now we're set for our Burns' party tomorrow between our fetch and the cooking done tonight - Cockaleekie soup, Albannach Orange Fancy (a cake), and a Renfrew Lemon Pie Cake (supposedly will taste like both, hmmm). Am going to try to cook oatcakes tomorrow morning...will let you know how the recipes turned out. And yes, no haggis for us! We'll address the groaning table but not the haggis (not fans). My sister bringing over a Mince pie (so if all my desserts are dreadful, I know we'll still feast! ) The fish and chips at the Argyle were terrific by the way . Now to practice my (terrible) Scottish accent for the poetry reading section of the dinner.











No comments: