June 25, 2010

and the seasons they go round and round...








Last day of school, last day of fifth grade. He is now a middle-schooler he tells me, one minute cocky and thrilled, the next feeling a bit bereft and melancholy that his six years at his elementary school has drawn to a close. I felt the latter, driving to work after dropping him off for the last time there, thinking how eager he is to be an older boy like his brother and how, though I love them so at any age, I miss my children younger, those young ones lost to memories and photo albums, driving down the sunlit roads playing the Joni Michell song one plays when feeling the years. Ah, this gig of aging... Hard to believe my last child is not even in grade school any longer.

1 comment:

nan said...

You and I are traveling on a similar orbit these days. I recently wrote a post about my sixth grader who is transitioning to jr. high (and is very excited to move on) after 7 years at his elementary school. I have been singing Circle Game a lot lately - as I vacillate between nostalgia and excitement for those dreams of grandeur coming true. (I cried all the way home from dropping him off at school on the last day on Thursday.)