January 24, 2011

yes, sonny, way back when I was a lass...











In one of those one topic leads to another discussions, I find myself chatting with the youngest, veering from the topic that dancing, even around the house, is good exercise to a cha cha down memory lane where I share how when his father, always a good cook, would make me dinner (yes, ladies). My husband, then beau, was, as he is now, a cook who did not like to be interrupted when calling up his culinary muse - so to amuse myself, I would dance around the living room to whatever records were playing - good exercise and fun. "Because we had no computers to fool around on back then" chimes in the husband. The 11 year old looks stunned. "Yeah, no cds, we played records," I add, "or ipods, or game things like xbox or any of that stuff, can you imagine?" The boy looks ill. We then start to reminisce how we got our first VHS player a year or so after we got married and how stunning it was to watch a movie in your very own house (!) and I recall that the first movie we got was "Starman" the great sci fi love movie where the fabulous Karen Allen drives across western states with the very cute if robot-y Jeff Bridges alien and introduces him to the charms of diners, pie (lots of pie - so you know it was a decent movie). Now we really are into it - fondly recalling how much more fun the world was then when you could get really excited about stuff that is all so everyday now...at this point the 11 year old looks rather stunned that his parents are truly THIS OLD since clearly this is stone-age stuff... well then this must be our theme song (a big fave at the library with the kidlets, too!)

1 comment:

WOL said...

Ah, yes. Back in the days of yesteryear. . .before cell phones, or even cordless phones. . .back when you had to open supermarket doors "manually" -- that last usually convinces the school age crowd that I am indeed a living fossil.